Monday, October 13, 2008

The Irish weekend papers in general, the Tribune in specific

I've been ragging on the papers of late, but I do want to mention two Tribune columnists I enjoy.  The first is Chris Binchy, especially when he used to do the restaurant reviews.  He introduced me to some inexpensive places I still go to.  I don't know if he wrote the review of Madina on Little Mary St., but it remains my favorite Indian in the city.  And it's by far the most authentic, if not the fanciest.  I don't know of anywhere else you can get a dosa or idlis, or come out paying less than 30 euro for a dinner for 2.  Granted they don't serve alcohol, but they do serve a great mango lahsi.

I also love the Tribune's TV reviewer Patrick Freyne.  He is very, very funny.  Wonderful, insightful reviews done with wit and kindness.  Worth the price of the paper.

No comments: